In this article, we shall feature a wide range of powered wheelbarrows that would give you value for your money. The wheelbarrows featured in this article will make your life easier and they come with versatility and functionality that will help you work smarter without having to break your back.
Which motorized wheelbarrows is the best and the most affordable. Would you prefer gas-powered or electric powered?
- 40V 4Ah: 2 hr. recharge time
- Self-propelled 10″ wheels
- Off-loading assist handle helps you off-load material
- Runs up to 40 minutes with a max load of 200 lbs.
- Rust resistant cargo tub: 3.75 cu.ft. capacity
This wheelbarrow comes with amazing features such as durability. It is affordable as well and if you wish for cordless wheelbarrow, then, this high quality tool is perfect for you.
- Run-Time: up to 45 minutes under load (1x 18V LXT 5Ah battery)
- Holds 2x 18V LXT simultaneously — operates using 1x 18V battery at a time. 2nd battery kicks in when the first one runs dry. Innovative!
- Makita-built Brushless Motor
- L-shaped legs can be installed to replace rear wheels
- LED lights on each side illuminate ahead
- Weight: 88 lbs. with bucket
- Rubberized soft grip handles
- Dust and water resistant
- Prevents overloading, over-discharging and over-heating
- Maximum speed up to 2.5 MPH on a 12º incline
- Reverse mode
- Interchangeable steel bucket or steel tube flat-bed
- Maximum load = up to 275 lbs.
- 7″ mechanical disc brake for quick stop
Best Motorized Wheelbarrow
Wheelbarrows have now evolved into something more convenient. You no longer have to exert huge physical effort to transport heavy things such as building rubble, garden debris, etc. Now wheelbarrows are power assisted which means it could haul heavier loads then you having to push it regularly. A motorized wheelbarrow could load around from 200 lbs. to 700 lbs.
The Snapper XD SXDU C82 is highly recommended and could handle higher capacity than Greenworks. This wheelbarrow is one of the best motorized cart perfectly designed for homeowners. This cart could be used by elders or anyone who could not do any laborious work.
- Powered by Briggs & Stratton lithium-ion system: 2Ah, 4Ah or 5Ah Lithium-Ion Battery
- 3.7 cu-ft rust-resistant cargo bed
- Quick release lever easily releases your materials.
- Steel hitch, speeds up to 6 mph.
- Up to 180-minutes of operation with a 2Ah battery (additional run time available with separate 4Ah or 5Ah battery)
- Heavy-duty transmission
- Reinforced steel frame
How does a motorized wheelbarrow work?
Most motorized wheelbarrows come with one/two driving wheels and one/two caster wheels which allows the cast to turn. There are a few which comes with four driving wheels. There are also some which are motorized and would use tracks instead of wheels. They are often powered by either gas engine or electric motor. You will also be able to control the power depending if you are using it on flat ground, inclined or declined ground.
Furthermore, there are also motorized wheelbarrow that come with speed settings which you could control. Hence, through this feature, you will be able to move the wheelbarrow at a slower pace for better control. The minimum speed usually is 1 MPH to little more than 1 MPH. The maximum speed would normally be from 2 to 3 MPH. They also have reverse speed which could go somewhere around 1 to 2 MPH. Aside from that, they have breaks which will help you to make your wheelbarrow stop easier.
These types of wheelbarrows have the ability to turn 360-degrees radius. It is easier to move and turn compared to the old fashioned human powered wheelbarrows. This also means that they could handle inclined roads without any problems.
The load bin sizes, however, varies. Most often, you could expect a capacity of 3 to 4 cubic feet. Hoppers or load bins are usually made of durable plastic or steel and in most cases, they are removable which means, you could use the wheelbarrow as a flatbed.
If you are planning to purchase a motorized wheelbarrow, we recommend the following:
- YARDMAX YD4103 – gas powered wheelbarrow
- Greenworks 40V GC40L410 – battery powered
- Makita XUC01X1 – battery powered
- PAW – 24 Volt Power Assist Wheelbarrow 44019
Motorized Wheelbarrow Buyers Guide
As they say, you get what you pay for. This is also true with power wheelbarrows. Quality is one of the most important factors when purchasing equipment and with wheelbarrows, you will not have to worry as through this article, we shall provide you a great fantastic range of motorized wheelbarrows you could choose from. The criteria for the wheelbarrows that was able to make our list is not only because of their reputation, durability but also the value for money.
Wheels and Tracks
There are many different ways on how motorized wheelbarrows propel and one factor that affect this is the number of wheels. If you plan to use a motorized wheelbarrow, as mentioned, the first thing you should consider is the number of wheels. This factor would affect the stability of your barrow. It will also dictate on the ability of your barrow to move on inclined ground.
Single-wheeled electric wheelbarrow – this type of wheelbarrow is the simplest power wheelbarrows. They are similar to regular wheelbarrow. A single wheel at the front and two handles where you could push or pull the wheelbarrow. The only difference is this type of wheelbarrow is battery powered electric motor. Aside from that, you will also be able to have a control on the brake lever. If you choose this type of wheelbarrow, take in mind that it cannot handle too much weight. More or less only about 200 lbs. weight limit. Single-wheeled electric wheelbarrow is the cheapest type of power wheelbarrow, however, this is the least recommended type of wheelbarrow as they are not stable. It could easily be tilted and they do not do well on inclined ground. Though that is the case, single wheeled electric wheelbarrow is perfect for light-duty garden work.
Two-wheeled electric wheelbarrow – this type of wheelbarrow is more stable than the single-wheeled electric wheelbarrow. It is perfect to use for light duty garden work as it comes with two driving wheels and has same handle setup as the traditional wheelbarrow. Aside from that it also gives you better traction and has better abilities to climb inclined ground.
Three-wheeled electric wheelbarrows – this type of wheelbarrow does not have the same type of handles which will require you to lift the base off the ground to move the wheelbarrow. This type of wheelbarrow uses static bases which means the base does not touch the ground. It has two wheels at the back and a third wheel opposite site. Aside from that, it has two driving wheels and a single caster wheel for turning. The three wheeled electric wheelbarrow is perfect for gardening and light construction work.
Four-wheeled motorized wheelbarrows – this is the most stabilized motorized wheelbarrow. It comes with four wheels and it is similar to a mini tipper truck. This means, you will get the best traction. It is also similar with tractor lawn mowers in terms of its turn action. Most four-wheeled motorized wheelbarrows could handle about at least 600LBS. We recommend the YARDMAX YD4103.
Motorized wheelbarrows that uses tracks – this is what we call the king of all power wheelbarrows. They are huger than four wheeled motorized wheelbarrows which means they could handle larger loads. Aside from that, it has the ability to handle inclined ground. These motorized wheelbarrows use gas engines which means it is more expensive compared to those others listed in this article.
Hopper or Load Bin
Hopper is another important factor. Most of them come with a removable hopper which would allow you to use the wheelbarrow as a flatbed. This means, your wheelbarrow is flexible and versatile. The measurement of hopper is measured in cubic feet. The size varies from small to mid-sized motorized wheelbarrows which would have a hopper between 3 and 4 1/2 cubic feet.
Hoppers are usually made of tough plastic. This means you will not have to worry about rust which is perfect for gardening and construction site work. Other wheelbarrows may have a steel hopper instead. Steel hoppers are durable and its paint cannot be scratched. This type of hopper is perfect for garden work.
Another factor you will have to check is its tipper. A tipper makes your work easier. The handle helps to provide leverage in tipping the weight of your wheelbarrow.
Size and Power
Most huge motorized wheelbarrows use gas engine which is preferable for site work and farms. For home users, a huge motorized wheelbarrows could be of a disadvantage. Hence, you will need to consider the width of the wheelbarrow. Another disadvantage of using gas engine is it is a bit noisy and you could smell fumes. Though this is the case, gas engines do not have any limitation on working time.
For home users, it is recommended to get battery-powered wheelbarrows instead since they are not too big and it is easier to maneuver. They are silent and it does not need too much maintenance. Electric wheelbarrows on the other hand use lithium ion or deep cycle batteries. This means, work times could vary.
There are accessories that makes the machines more versatile. You could use a plow or a scraper for clearing an area which means using a motorized wheelbarrow as a small scale excavator. You could also use an optional load beds which could carry huge objects.
Motorized Wheelbarrow Review
- All terrain, full-time, self-propelled all-wheel drive.
- Turn on a dime with zero turn radius.
- Multi-speed heavy-duty transmission (3 forward speeds + reverse).
- 2-position enabled controls to ensure safe operation
with an instant stop.
- One handed release to easily dump where you need it.
- Directional AG tires provide traction across uneven, muddy, or wet ground.
- Evenly balanced to maximize control and prevent tipping.
- Delivers up to 60 minutes of run time under load using one 18V LXT® 6.0Ah BL1860 battery
- Maximum load capacity up to 275 lbs.
- 7″ mechanical disc brake for faster stopping
- Holds (2) 18V LXT Lithium-Ion batteries but operates using (1) 18V battery at a time; utilizes second battery when needed (batteries not included)
- BL Brushless Motor
- Equipped with Star Protection Computer Controls to protect against overloading, over-discharging and over-heating
- Compatible with Makita 18V Lithium-Ion batteries with a Star symbol (batteries sold separately)
- 3-year limited warranty
- 2-speed with maximum speed up to 2.5 MPH on a 12º incline
- Interchangeable steel bucket or steel tube flat-bed
- Rear wheel spacing is adjustable from 19″ to 30″ to accommodate the work environment
- L-shaped legs can be easily installed to replace rear wheels
- L.E.D. lights
- L.E.D. battery charge indicators show charge level for each 18V LXT battery
- Weighs 88 lbs. with bucket for reduced operator fatigue
- Rubberized soft grip handles
- Features Extreme Protection Technology (XPT)
- water resistant
Snapper XD SXDUC82
- Up to 3-hours (180-minutes) run time with the Briggs & Stratton 82V Lithium ion 2.0Ah Battery
- Quick-release lever dumps cargo bed contents effortlessly
- Reinforced Steel frame & a heavy-duty transmission with two forward and reverse speed options
- Powered by a Briggs & Stratton 82V Max Lithium-Ion 2Ah, 4Ah, or 5Ah battery.
- Two forward and and reverse speed options (Up to 2.6 mph).
- Heavy-duty transmission and reinforced steel frame for added durability.
- 3.7 cu-ft rust-resistant cargo bed capacity
- Battery Briggs & Stratton 82V Max* Lithium-Ion 2Ah or 5Ah (sold separately)
- Charges battery much quicker.
- Run Time Up to 180-minutes (with full 2Ah battery charge)
- Fold away Steel hitch for towing at speeds of up to 6 mph
- Rating: 82V 300W
- Loading capacity: 220lbs (100kg)
- Inflation pressure: Maximum
- Front Tire: 12×5.0-6” Pneumatic wheel
- Rear Tire: 8” Solid caster wheel
- Oil type: Transmission Fluid
- Oil capacity: 5 ounces
- Weight (without battery pack) : 88lbs(±4.4lbs)
- Capacity (Volume) : 106L / 3.74CUFT
- Length: 51.8” (131.5cm)
- Width: 26.4” (67cm)
- Height: 43.3” (110cm)
- High: 4.2 Km/h (±0.5Km/h)/2.60 mph (±0.31 mph)
- Low :3.0 Km/h (±0.5Km/h)/1.86 mph (±0.31 mph)
- Reverse: 2.4Km/h (±0.5Km/h)1.49 mph (±0.31 mph)
- Works on 40V 4ah lithium-ion battery (060-1758) and includes a quick charger that charges the battery in 2 hours
- Hauls up to 220LBS (100KG) of cargo on level cement areas
- 106L / 3.74 ft3, rust-resistant cargo bed
- Effortless start system
- Heavy duty steel frame
- Durable and rust resistant cargo tub with 3.75 cu. ft. capacity and 200 lb. weight capacity
- handles that could help users easily off-load material from the tub
- Self-propelled pneumatic 10″ wheels
- 40-minute run-time with a max load in ideal conditions (flat grass or pavement)
- Quick release lever
- 2-hour charge time
- High 3.5 Km/h
- Low: 2.5Km/h
- Reverse: 2 Km/h
- Powerful 24-volt battery operated drive system
- Simple push button forward and reverse control
- Variable forward speed with power boost for hills
- Independent two-wheel drive for easy turning
- Sturdy steel frame with two 13″ pneumatic tires
- easily power any load up to 200lbs
- Thumb throttle for secure two hand operation
- Could drive up a 15-degree incline