Angle grinders are important and very versatile type of tool. However, it is difficult to find one that would best suit your needs. Buying the wrong type of angle grinder could cause you more and you could end up buying or purchasing twice. Do not worry, as you came to the right place. Through this article, we shall provide you useful information which you could use as a guide in choosing the best angle grinder.
Top Quick Picks
Best Angle Grinder
This angle grinder would provide you what you pay for. It is considered as one of the best angle grinders. It is designed specifically for professional contractors. It is durable and comes with impressive power.
- Powerful 15 AMP motor delivers 6,600 RPM
- Rear trigger switch with lock-on
- Tool-less wheel guard for quick and easy adjustments
- Spiral bevel gears for smoother rotations and a more efficient transfer of energy
- Rubberized soft grip handle provides increased operator comfort
- Large rubber tool rest protects work piece from damage
- Three position adjustable side handle for operator convenience
- Large disc capacity
- Solid design
- Very powerful
- Low vibration compared to cheap models
- Ideal for cutting into concrete
- Does not come with a storage box
- Could be heavy for some.
If you are looking for angle grinder that would provide you value for your money, go for DeWalt DWE402K 4- ½”. It is one of the best top seller angle grinder.
- 11 Amp AC/DC 11,000 rpm motor which provides the best power to weight/size ratio available
- Quick-Change Wheel Release allows tool free wheel removal
- Spindle Size-5/8″-11 in, 1400 W, Corded Power Tool,
- Tool Length-12 in, Wheel Diameter-4-1/2-Inch
- 11 Amp AC/DC 11,000 rpm motor
- Dust Ejection System makes this tool durable
- Includes-One-Touch Guard,2-Position Side Handle, Wrench
- 360-degree rotation of the guard
- Great value for money
- Safe to use
- Paddle switch for safety
- Highly reviewed
- Not recommended for heavy usage
If you are in a budget, the Hitachi G12SS2 is best for you. It is designed specifically for home workshop use. It is lightweight and it ensures easy control and easy to maneuver. Its perimeter grip is smaller and its side handle is tilted. It is comfortable to use which makes it easier to provide amazing results.
- Powerful 5.1 amp motor
- Weighs around 4 lbs.
- Durable and reliable
- Rugged glass reinforced polyamide resin body and precision die-cast aluminum gear housing
- Low profile gear housing and compact body
- Spindle lock which allows quick and easy accessory change
- Trigger lock on
- Trigger lock-on feature for speed and convenience
- Super lightweight and easy to maneuver
- Grip was designed to be comfortable and add to control
- Impressive no-load RPM of 12,000.
- Start button can be difficult to turn on
- Power cord is short
- Overheats quickly on low speed
- Not recommended for those who plan on heavy usage
This cordless grinder is a wise investment. It is impressive and you would surely not be disappointed. This tool is perfect for quick jobs- less than 10-minute usage. However, if you are doing jobs often, it is recommended that you consider a corded model.
- 8,000 RPM motor provides high power for cutting and grinding applications.
- Quick-Change Wheel Release allows for tool free wheel changes.
- 2-finger trigger switch with lock-off button.
- 2-position side handle for greater control, comfort & versatility.
- 3-year warranty.
- Works on 20V MAX lithium ion
- Impressive power for battery operated
This angle grinder is designed for frequent use heavy duty jobs. It is easy to use and it comes with optimized airflow motor running cooler. It is easy and quick to change the wheel system. It comes with a safety slip clutch which ensures you will not experience kickback. It also has anti-vibration feature which makes this tool comfortable to use.
- Metabo LongLife motor with up to 50% more torque for quicker material removal, up to 20% higher overload capacity.
- Electronic Speed Stabilization maintains the speed of the tool for maximum productivity even under heavy operating conditions.
- Electronic overload protection which helps protect the tool from overheating in demanding applications providing long service life.
- Warranty: 3 years
- Metabo S-Automatic safety slip clutch helps the user to maintain control if the accessory jams reducing the likelihood of kickback.
- Metabo Quick System: the fastest tool-free disc change system at the touch of a button.
- Easy to use
- Comes with cool running motor
- Anti-vibration handle
- Quick switches from grinding to cutting
- A bit more expensive
- Automatic speed change technology adjusts speed and torque during operation
- Active feedback-sensing technology (aft) turns the motor off if rotation of the wheel is suddenly forced to stop.
- Comes with BL Brushless motor
- Efficient BL Brushless motor is electronically controlled to optimize battery energy use for up to 50% longer run time per charge.
- LED gauge which shows battery life information
- Batteries work on 18V LXT range
The DWE4597N is under the Perform and Protect line of DeWalt. It offers high level of control, low vibration and dust containment features. Its performance is impressive and it is easy to store as well.
- Comes with high level of: control, dust containment, or low vibration
- High Power 4.7 HP (maximum motor HP) 8,500 rpm motor
- Dust Ejection System increases brush life and protects the motor from damaging particles entering the air intake
- Anti-Vibe Trigger Handle reduces user fatigue caused by vibration
- Quick Change Guard allows user to quickly adjust guard to redirect sparks
- 3-years warranty
- Heavy duty
- Effective dust ejection system
- Anti-vibration handle
- High maintenance and time consuming repairs.
If you are on a tight budget, do not worry as Black+Decker is here to the rescue. This tool is ideal for light duty work and it is affordable.
- Metal gear case
- 3-position side handle provides comfort and control
- Spindle lock
- Cheapest angle grinder
- Perfect for light duty work
- Not recommended for heavy use
- Wrench for grinding wheels is cheap
This is another budget- friendly option. It is perfect tool for DIYers. It is sturdy and has a premium feel. The only downside is that it does not come with type 1 guard.
- 11000 rpm for high speed material removal
- Durable 6 A motor powers
- Cast metal gear case
- 3-year limited warranty
- 1-year free service contract
- 90-day money back guarantee.
- Premium-like feel
- Does not come with type 1 guard
Is it tough enough?
One thing that you will have to consider is if your angle grinder could handle tough jobs. This is very important especially when you are a professional or using it a lot. Also, another thing to consider is the gear system.
Though this is not necessary as it does not affect the performance of your tool, a start that uses force would provide strain on your wrist and hands. Having a soft start would ensure that you feel comfortable in starting this tool.
As we all know that angle grinders vibrate a lot, it would be best if you have some vibration protection such as soft grip handles. There are also some models that have vibration controlling features.
As angle grinders could be used on rusted metal, tile, mortar and stone, there are dust materials that could fly into the air. Hence having dust protection feature would be convenient and wise to have.
This is another thing you would need to consider. Most of the products that we have featured in this article range from 4 to 9 inches in diameter. Take in mind that the larger the disc the more surface it could cover.
There are three options of power sources and they are Pneumatic, battery powered and corded electric. We highly recommend battery powered and corded electric power source as you do not need to worry about running out of juice and the battery powered would allow you to bring it anywhere.
Type of Switch
There are two types of switch – slide and paddle.
Paddle Switches are easier to use. Slide triggers on the other hand would require you to use your thumb which could be annoying for some.
We hope that through this article, we were able to provide you helpful information that will guide you in making a wise decision in choosing the best angle grinder that would best suit your needs.